Saturday, May 7, 2011

Stupid, Lately

Wow. Do I feel like an A+ idiot right now. I just replied to some terrible news on the local Hunt Meadow message board. A terrible "tradegy" happened. Wait, what? I realized my error as I changed dear Emerson's diaper upstairs. I couldn't get downstairs fast enough to delete the post and rewrite one with words that had 4 letters or less. I mean, those are pretty hard to screw up (not impossible, but much harder).

Ever since I had kids, I've lost precious room upstairs. It's like my brain doesn't have enough space to hold my education, work experience AND the latest Mo Willams children's book. Are you serious?

I forget names constantly (not yours, well maybe sometimes).

I went to a playdate yesterday and had to go the back way due to traffic. I ended up back on Route 50 going towards Annapolis. The playdate was in Crofton. I go every week. But since I went the back way, my auto pilot took over (apparently this other self takes over whenever it feels necessary) and when she saw the exit off 424 for 50, off we went. In my defense, I was not on the phone but listening to the chatter of two toddlers (had little Gwen with me) and a sweet babe in the back. Seriously though. What the hell is going on?

I still have moments of brilliance (yes, brilliance. Please stop laughing and just indulge me. P.S. I almost misspelled 'indulge'). But they are fleeting and seem to come less and less. And I read. And watch CNN. And cool travel and cooking channels. I just don't retain information unless it's really, really important (like the plot line of Vampire Diaries or when my next hair cut is...May 14th, if you're wondering).

Do I just resign myself that kids literally take everything? Time, energy, money, all our love and affection...sanity. I mean, we did it to our parents. Isn't this just retribution. Do our parents secretly (or right in our faces) celebrate every trip-up, misspelled word, or 'wrong' auto-pilot move.

And don't get me wrong. It's worth it. I love my kids. And the joys of raising them. I just didn't know that the smartest choices I've ever made (next to marrying my husband) could make me so freaking dumb.

So here's to embracing the highs and lows of raising kids. And to hoping the brain cells come back...even if it's just one at a time.

Word. J

PS - my husband just gave me great material for next post. are.you.serious?

PPS - just did spell check. misspelled brilliance. typical.

4 comments:

  1. OKAY THAT was a test - I keeep writing long responses and they dont go through! Maybe too long? All I can say is WORD. My brain cells are fried dealing with 2 wild toddler boys all day. OMG. I heard it was a scientific fact that we lose them due to the hormone overload during baby years. I heard they come back eventually. But I have no idea when. I'm always THAT mom in the grocery with 2 screaming boys who are fighting to run free with the wind and not be in some silly grocery store (who needs food when there are playgrounds to be seen?) I SO have MOM BRAIN. Why don't they WARN us about this?? I can't even get a chance to shower, let alone know what day it is! But it's definitely 2010, right? and April. Or wait is it May? WORD. Luv you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and for those that look at me with disdain - I'M SORRY, I HAD NO IDEA PEOPLE BIRTHED ADULTS - YOU WERE A KID ONCE TO AND YOUR MOMMA WAS THAT MOMMA! The only ones that help or 10000 percent understand are the ones with toddlers in tow, as we smile in angst at each other....heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. See. Wrote "to" instead of "too"
    WORD.

    ReplyDelete