Wednesday, May 18, 2011

De-Friended.

Is that even a word? Maybe not officially, but FB created it amidst their claim to fame for connecting people. I've discovered it hurts to be de-friended, even if you don't really care about the person who did said de-friending. Listen, I've done my fair share of defriending or ignoring friend requests. Not maliciously. I just don't need to be connected to everybody. And I figured that out as my relationship with FB matured. The thing with FB is that it's not necessarily a very mature venue. While in some regards, it's great. Fabulous even. But in other ways, not so much. I hope I haven't inadvertently hurt someone's feelings along my FB journey, though as I mull over my own de-friending, I figure I must have at some point. And.that.sucks. I hate hurting people's feelings (like anyone likes it, right?). But in the vast world of FB, I bet it happens a lot.

As I contemplate on how to continue, I find myself writing, deleting, writing, deleting. And writing some more. Delete.Delete.Delete. Aren't you excited to really be in my head right now (hahahaha).

I'm overthinking. It's a problem, my problem and I need help. My husband gives pretty good advice in the way of "who really gives a sh*&". And while I'm pretty sure I know why I've been defriended, I keep reviewing our last interaction. Over thinker meet Over analyzer. The two go hand in hand, even though they are a terrible match. And all they do together is waste precious time. Because at the end of the day, it's just not that important. Wait, scratch (that), it's not important at all.

And here comes the lesson. Stop wasting time on unimportant things. While I'm pretty sure we all know what's important, sometimes we don't. To be clear, reading my blog falls in the 'important' category if anyone had any doubts or second thoughts. I'm here to remind you (you're welcome), all that matters in this big, big world are the people we love and cherish. The ones who stand by us when we mis-step, mis-speak, mess-up...the ones who make us laugh and vice-versus. The ones who hold our hands (or hair back over the toilet...you know who you are oh loves of my life), the people who truly lift us higher than we ever thought possible. The ones who listen to our woes and support unconditionally. The ones who celebrate all our big and small moments (E is finally napping...yay).

I'm off FB again. First it was for Lent, now it's for me. I don't know how long, maybe forever. I love keeping up with old sorority sisters, roommates and childhood friends. And it's been great for the mom's group I'm a part of, but my life will continue to be full and happy without daily updates. Although I will miss the pictures and hilarious anecdotes about whose kid said what, etc., it tempts me to care about unimportant things.

And I realize how fortunate I am to still be in touch with everyone I ever really, really loved in some way or another. Most importantly, without the help of FB. Shout out to snail mail, phone calls, emails and the best of the best, dates (like karaoke tonight at W'Man's...open invite...please come!).

FB does rock...but this girl needs to roll out for awhile. Word.

J

2 comments:

  1. WHO was is? I've been off FB lately too...I check in once in awhile with old friends, but many people just use it to show off and some people are seriously posting like 4 times a day - who has the time? I barely shower.
    I was de-Friended too - but thank GOD...it was a bear of a "friendship" that sucked the life out of me.

    ReplyDelete